Electrify LO Resources
The goal of Electrify LO is to provide information, to motivate and to reduce barriers to home, yard care, and vehicle electrification. Here are resources you can use to make good decisions. Through Electrify LO we will help find practical and lower cost solutions as you move toward electrification.
Why Electrify—How electrification can help us address the climate crisis
- For a comprehensive review: Rewiring America Field Manual
- A briefer discussion: The key to tackling climate change: electrify everything
- If you want a podcast: Saul Griffith: Electrify Everything
Most comprehensive (and practical) information on how to electrify your home
Information on Oregon’s legislation to address climate change and global warming through electrification
Help low-income Oregonians access clean, efficient heating
Adverse health effects from methane (natural gas)
Electrification can save you money
- High Performance All Electric Homes
- No Cost & Low Cost Tips (PGE): Low/no cost things you can do to save money and decrease your energy use today
- Oregon On-Bill Loan Repayment (Energy Trust): Get affordable financing for energy-saving upgrades through your Portland General Electric, Pacific Power or NW Natural bill
- Loans for Electrification — EV Life: Find out how you can save money buying when an EV
Heat pump water heaters and for space heating
- Heat Pump FAQs
- LOSN Heat Pump Brochure
- All About Heat Pump Water Heaters
- Heat Pump Water Heater Buying Guide – May 2021
- My Experience Switching to a Heat Pump Water Heater
- Heat Pump Water Heaters | Department of Energy
- Heat Pump Water Heaters — Game Changers In Efficiency – CleanTechnica
- Advice on Choosing a Heat Pump
- Electrify Now: Take Action for more information on how to get started
Induction stove tops (also consider induction hot plates which can get bought for under $100)
Electric panel upgrades
Many people with older homes looking to switch to all electric household equipment including an electric vehicle home charger are told that their electric panel does not have sufficient capacity. However, there are several methods that can address this problem without resorting to a full panel upgrade.
Electric landscaping equipment
- The Benefits of All Electric Yard Care
- All Electric Yard Care Fact Sheet – All Electric Yard Care is good for your health and for the nature in your yards.
- Quiet Clean PDX – A Portland based volunteer effort working to phase out gas-powered leaf blowers. Check this site for a list of local landscapers that used electric equipment and hand tools.
- American Green Zone Alliance (AGZA) – A leader in low impact, low noise landscape solutions. Committed to improving quality of life for communities, working conditions for operators and best practices for the landscape maintenance industry.
- Quiet Communties, Inc. – An organization that is dedicated to helping communities reduce health and environmental harm from noise and pollution.
- PGE Electric Tool Exchange – a PGE initiative that helps people exchange gas-powered lawn tools for non-polluting, quiet electric lawn tools.